Sunday, June 19, 2011

Proud to be an American.

My friend Carol Brown, citizen of the world and traveler in over fifty countries, says of the Fremont Solstice Parade, "It makes me proud to be an American."

The Solstice Parade is a true descendant of street theater and circus traditions of Europe and Asia, of the Mardi Gras parades, and of pagan ceremonies everywhere. I'm surprised at how many Seattle residents have never been to it. We don't have enough gatherings in the public spaces of our city. Also see Bon Odori Festival.

Please let me know if there are others here that take over the streets...


World's largest dung beetle. See Video

I love to imagine the people who sat around thinking of what to do for the parade, and then came up with "Hey! let's do a giant dung beetle!" Also: National Geographic video of the real thing. Having had an up-close-and-personal experience of these guys in the Texas desert, I am a fan.


And the parade:






No comments:

Post a Comment